Saturday, June 15, 2013

Celebrating Great Dads this Father’s Day

On Sunday, we will celebrate Father’s Day and the men who make this day all the more special. Fathers not only teach their children how to ride bikes and play baseball, they provide the foundation for the guiding principles that carry their children through life. I’ve been blessed to have an amazing father, who was my role model and friend, and I am proud to be able to share the lessons he taught me with my own children.

Through my father’s example, I learned early in life the value of hard work and have incorporated that strong work ethic into my life and public service. My dad was a family man, showing our family strength and devotion every day. Even though he is no longer with us, I can still hear his voice and wisdom in my head, and that brings a smile to my face.

As a dad myself, I know being a father doesn't come with an instruction manual, although it would be nice if it did! We try to do our best to provide for our children, give them the best instruction and advice possible, and ask God to watch over our family.

To all Texas fathers, remember the best gift you can give your child is not something of monetary value, but the gift of time. The world is a tough place. To borrow from an old proverb, we need to not simply give our children a fish, but rather teach them how to fish so they can have the fulfillment and satisfaction of independence and self-reliance. 

Thank you for your perseverance, wisdom, discipline and support of your children. You’re helping make this world a better place. Happy Father’s Day!

No comments: