Friday, September 18, 2009

GO TEXAN in South Padre Island

South Padre Island is a real Texas treasure. I recognized the town, alongside Mayor Pro-Tem JoAnn Evans and other city officials, for two special accomplishments. First, I presented a certificate to the Town of South Padre Island in recognition of its designation as the 30th GO TEXAN Certified Retirement Community in the great State of Texas. Then, South Padre Island received an award for being one of only nine Hardworking Rural Community winners in Texas.

Growing up in rural Texas, I learned many things. Among the lessons was to make sure I “read the signs” as I navigated the East Texas Pineywoods. I was glad I remembered that lesson in South Padre Island where ties are prohibited. One speaker at the Texas Conference On Regionalism from Connecticut wasn’t so fortunate. I observed as a South Padre Island police officer gave him (and the jovial group of Texas leaders watching) the choice of going to jail or having his tie cut in half while he was wearing it! Needless to say, I know where you could probably get a good deal on two pieces of a tie for the price of one.

GO TEXAN.

No comments: