Monday, June 28, 2010

Governor Briscoe leaves a legacy as big as Texas

The Lone Star State and Texas agriculture lost a loyal and distinguished friend Sunday with the passing of former Governor Dolph Briscoe.
 
Born into a ranching and oil family, Gov. Briscoe served as Texas governor from 1973-1979. Among his many accomplishments in agriculture, Gov. Briscoe served as the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association President, helped eradicate the threat of screwworm and was pivotal in developing the farm-to-market system of paved roads. As a politician, Gov. Briscoe championed government transparency and reform.
 
A native of Uvalde and a UT Longhorn, Briscoe was as Texan as they come. I want to offer my personal condolences to the Briscoe family, and I know I can speak for all in the agriculture industry when I say thank you to Gov. Briscoe for his many groundbreaking accomplishments and the lasting legacy he leaves behind.

No comments: