Monday, July 14, 2008

Busy Week, Great Experience

Last week was a busy one, but it was a great opportunity of getting out to meet some of the people that make Texas such a unique and prosperous state.

On Monday I traveled to beautiful Kerrville in the Hill Country for the Summer Commodity Conference. I got to hear from Texas Farm Bureau members from across the state.

Th next day I was back in Austin for the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association conference. It’s inspiring to talk with the future of Texas Agriculture and to hear their enthusiasm about keeping the cattle ranching tradition alive.

Later that evening I appeared on the online radio show The Dad Show. We talked about the very serious obesity epidemic affecting Texas children. You can watch video of my interview HERE.

Then on Wednesday, I traveled to Fort Bend County to meet with the Sugar Land Rotary Club. I met with about 60 members and had great conversations about Texas trade with Cuba and gas pump regulation.

That afternoon I met with several doctors at the Texas Children’s Hospital to tackle the serious issue of childhood obesity.

I ended the week in Beaumont with an educational tour of the Port of Beaumont.
(left to right) Pete Shelton, president of the board of commissioners, Todd Staples, Lee Smith, commissioner; Chris Fisher, director, Port of Beaumont

Touring the Port of Beaumont gave me an opportunity to see firsthand "Texas 'Gateway to the World." The port is vital to the agricultural economy of the Lone Star State.

Finally, I toured a rice field at the 61st Summer Rice Field Day at the A&M Research center in Beaumont. I discussed several issues with rice experts, including rice straw as a possible energy source. Despite some rain, it was overall a great and educational event.

I look forward to updating you on more of my travels throughout Texas.

No comments: