Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Be Thankful

Any way you slice it, 2009 has had more than the usual share of obstacles and high hurdles: exceptional drought in most parts of Texas followed by flooding in the remaining areas, high unemployment, high foreclosures and bank failures, mounting national debt that threatens our worldwide competitive ability, historically low overall economic activity for our state and nation, the tragic loss of life at Ft. Hood and family members with serious health problems.

It has been such a tough year in so many ways that this Thanksgiving, do you know what I am going to do? Well, I am going to be thankful.

I am thankful for God’s blessings. I am thankful for my family. I am thankful to be a Texan. I am thankful our team at the Texas Department of Agriculture has an opportunity to partner with so many terrific individuals and organizations throughout our great state. I am thankful that even with all that I don’t like and want to change, I live in a country where each individual has opportunity and freedom. I am thankful the Aggies have the home field advantage for this year’s football game with the Longhorns and am thankful my Longhorn friends don’t rub in the last few years (too much). I am thankful I caught an old cow we’ve been trying to pen for over two years! Finally, I am thankful for each new day we are given to make it better than yesterday.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

No comments: