Monday, June 22, 2009

Cap & Trade: Bad for America

I had the opportunity to address the Texas Ag Forum today here in Austin. The group covers a wide variety of agricultural leaders from all over Texas who are working together to discuss the major topics of our day.

Today's agenda covered climate change and the ongoing debate in Washington on the proposed Cap & Trade legislation. Depending on who is right, the cost for the proposed Cap & Trade bill is anywhere from a postage stamp per day for all Americans to nearly $5,000 a year for American families and increasing the cost of gasoline and diesel by 58% by the year 2035. In my opinion, the proposed legislation is bad for America, bad for consumers and bad for Texas farmers and ranchers.

But, you don't have to just take my word for it. Even a bi-partisan group of legislators is taking issue with the legislation. One thing I know, Americans don't like being dependent on foreign oil; I know they won’t like being dependent on foreign sources of food, which I believe this legislation will lead to if implemented.

No comments: