Sunday, May 12, 2013

Honoring Texas Mothers


You know when Mother’s Day is near because the ads start filling up our mailboxes and inboxes with specials on flowers, candy, perfumes, cards and other items to show our moms how much we care. I can’t help but think the greatest gift we can give to our mother’s is living a life that respects the traditions, compassion, morals and convictions she worked so hard to give to us.

Like the great Dr. James Dobson says, “Children are not casual guests in our home. They have been loaned to us temporarily for the purpose of loving them and instilling a foundation of values on which their future lives will be built.”

I promise you my mother never treated me casually. She worked every day to instill in me the values of hard work, dedication and a can-do attitude. Never treated as a guest, I knew early-on that I had a responsibility to serve God, my family and my community. Now, with the privilege to serve the people of Texas, I can still hear my mother’s voice reminding me to be
guided by those principles that she sewed in me all those years ago.  

I received lots of love, but with that love came rules, discipline, chores and the expectation that I would strive to help my family, my friends and my community. This weekend, honor your mother with more than just a gift; show your devotion by the way you live life, and apply the wisdom she has taught you over her lifetime. I pass along a very happy Mother’s Day to all of those women who go by the first name, Mom.

No comments: